sourdough naan recipe no yogurt

I'll be making this on a regular basis with my sourdough discard. I definitely recommend this recipe … Hi Linda! Here are a few of my other favorite and equally delicious sourdough recipes: Sourdough Starter; No … The recipe below is vegan friendly, but you can use plain yogurt and ghee in place of the milk and olive oil in equal measures. Using sour cream is a great idea, too! The dough will be tacky to slightly sticky, but you should be able to easily work with it with the additon of a little flour. Or do I need to add baking soda or instant yeast? Booyah. There's a lot of difference between a 100% and a 68% starter, and adding to that the flour differs between countried. It will work just fine in this recipe, whether your starter has been fed and active or if it is discard! Naan Bread Pizza The Awesome Lady. The tightening action of salt on flour proteins helps in gas retention of the dough. Rivals restaurant naan. Wish i could post a picture. I accidentally made a double batch and don't know what to do with leftovers Thanks for your help! Also prevents excessive acid levels in the fermented dough, especially during warm summer weather; and develops a desirable crust color. Will save to my pinterest recipe board. I made one change, setup a cast iron pancake girdle in the oven set to 450F and cooked the naan on it while adjusting broil. Use a small amount of flour on your counter and on your rolling pin to help you roll the dough out. Then you can reheat them on a skillet. Yogurt Sourdough Starter. I have updated the nutritional information to reflect that. There are few stuffed naans that are also popular, and they are Keema Naan made with ground Mutton, Goat, or Lamb meat. Why baking soda is used in both sourdough/ yeast or non- yeast naan bread is because it strengthens the dough and increases the water absorption. Instead of cow's greek yogurt, I used GT"s Kombucha CocoYo yogurt (plain) in the same ratio. It would be helpful to state what hydration your starter was so as some can adjust their recipe. Note about yogurt: Make sure that you are using a thick plain greek yogurt - a yogurt with a thin consistency will cause the dough to be too wet. Jenni lives in Des Moines, Iowa with her amazing husband, three girls, three dogs who think they are children, and two feisty cats. For Indians Naan is not just a flat bread, there is proud and emotional attachment to it. I substituted alt-milk and a bit of acid (lemon juice) to mimic the flavor. The one way in which I strayed from instructions is that I let the dough, once formed, sit overnight nearly 12 hours to get that perfect spring-back. Last updated Nov 06, 2020. Thanks for sharing as always. You could try using a little coconut oil! Let me know how it goes! It is detectable but not overly sour. This recipe looks lovely! Then when it is heated. It would help to mention the hydration of your starter and maybe give the ingredients in grams, because everyone's cups might be different. Made this really excellent naan recipe as written. Two, it’s technically no … This site uses cookies to give you best experience on our site, 15 Easy Thanksgiving Side Dishes Under 30 minutes or less, Hot and Sour Soup: Easy Asian Dinner Recipes. I want to try this recipe for my discard but I don't have a cast iron skillet. Let me know how it goes! I tried making these but my dough came out watery. As a result of the migration flows, Naan also reached the Persian Gulf. This recipe was spot on!! I’m not a good baker and I’ve only been using a sourdough starter (her name Is Margaret) for 3 months and consider myself a novice when it comes to working with dough. Yum! *. I was originally going to try this recipe but then I changed my mind and made injera... but I think this is one I will have to come back to, it looks so good! Jenni, this is really a great recipe. « Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Slices with Spicy Lime Dipping Sauce. Yumm! Leave unfed sourdough or the discard overnight on counter. I love naan, and this looks like a delicious version. I used salted butter to fry them and it gave a nice taste.THANK YOU for this one - it was a hit! Make sure you keep an eye on it and test if it has been proofed enough. While shaping the naan bread make sure to make slight thick, other wise you will get Naan pita as it tends to puff up while cooking. Note about sourdough starter: This recipe uses unfed 100% hydration sourdough starter discard. Awesome that was my question can you use sour cream as I don’t have Greek yogurt. I Tried with pea milk and oat yogurt and it worked great! It’s instant and give a beautiful soft texture that you will throughly enjoy at every bite. May 22, 2020 - Delicious Sourdough Naan, classic Indian flatbread made with sourdough starter, flour, yogurt and milk topped with garlic or nigella seeds. Sourdough naan is so easy its foolproof! Instead of cow's butter, I used Miyoko's brand vegan butter which I find to be the most likened in flavor as well as the healthiest most wholesome ingredients (along with the other vegan substitutes listed above -- I really whipped out all my favorites)! Both breads can be used in a similar fashion and both taste delicious. My name is Jenni, and I'm an Iowa mama of three. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us! Hi Nicole! It inspires me to cook more! You can thank the crazy-talented folks of Artisan Bread in 5 for that. Add the levain, 2 tbs oil, milk, yogurt and egg. * Coming from a person who favours low hydration and cold and long fermentation for a puckery sourdough. This was my first time making them. Thank you so much for this recipe! Mar 27, 2020 - This sourdough naan recipe is so easy its foolproof! Had mine with a poached egg and some Greek yogurt and sprinkled with coriander :3 delicious brunch! This recipe is great because you can use either! Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram, and don't forget to tag #gingeredwhisk. I was worried about the moisture level but just took a risk, and it turned out really well! Naan bread, on the other hand, is made with yeast and is a leavened bread. This will prevent the condensation of water into the naan. In a large bowl mix together the sourdough starter, milk and yogurt until smooth. I love Indian food so much. Points to remember while making the Sourdough Naan. Delicious and flavorful naan is right around the corner with this great recipe! I'm still new to working with sourdough starter, so I appreciate any advice for my next try of these lovely naan. Thanks for the recipe. The history of this bread was so interesting. Naan Recipe with step by step photos - Soft textured delicious naan made with whole wheat flour (atta) and all purpose flour (maida). I enjoyed learning about a new type! That must be confusing, sorry! Hi, this is my first time using this recipe. Should I just add flour during kneading until the dough is no longer sticky? Need to be a little more heart healthy. Required fields are marked *, By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. I am always experimenting with internet recipes and have never left a comment, but somewhere between the 10th and 20th time I did this recipe I thought it was only fair to send you my regards and compliments. Only 10 minutes tops! Naan in old Persian means bread, and in Iran it indicates any kind of bread. Freeze them in singe layers, and then you can stack them. I just randomly found your blog looking for this recipe. When you flip the Naan over I brushed melted butter onto the side that was just done. 3. Hard part was finding the correct temperature so I’d get a good ‘bake’ without burning. ham, tomato puree, naan bread, hot sauce, grated cheese, cherry tomatoes. I will try to copy your recipe and wish me luck, hope I can make it perfect like the one you did. Nice job. I do not have baking powder, is it ok to leave that out? Hi Karen! If you make sourdough naan with  mixture of both flours yield increased mineral content  compared to single strain  yeast. This is probably the least confident I started baking, having changed around so many ingredients, and I typically don't review recipes because of how often I stray from the original (I'm naughty, lol) but I HAD to offer my suggestions with how delicious this turned out. Naan in restaurants sometimes has little burn spots on it so I tried to cook it until it looked like that. in this naan bread recipe, i have used 2:1 proportion of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, but you can use 1:1 or even 3:1. It’s hard to replicate, but it’s doable. The naan was light and fluffy and perfect and so easy to make. Hi Paula! I’ve made Naan bread a few times before and I love that recipe, but I wanted to try this one to use up some sourdough discard. I am also known for playing with recipes and not following instructions but this I follow religiously. They’re one of the best. She is super passionate about helping every member of a family learn to love great food. Any advice? I love naan (great for pizzas too) and this sounds easy and tasty! First mention of Naan is in 1300 AD by the Indian poet and musician Amir Khusrow, but its origin is almost certainly older: probably since the arrive of yeast in India from Egypt. . I’ve always thought it was complicated to make, but your recipe makes it look so easy. I enjoyed one with just a sprinkle of salt while my daughters experimented with cinammon and sugar. Divide into 8 pieces and roll out into circles that are about 1'4" thick. Once you made sourdough naan enjoy with spicy chicken curry or lamb curry. Is there any way to modify to use less butter? The dough bubbled up with the tips beautifully browning and i did not need to flip so the bubbles stayed intact while serving. If so, how long do you think it could be refrigerated? Whenever possible I try to to give an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. Hi Luiza! Here’s what you’ll need to make sourdough naan: sourdough starter, water, flour, an egg, sugar, salt, ghee, and yogurt. Soft and pillowy, melting in mouth Instant Naan, that needs no egg, no yeast and can be prepared in just 30 minutes.It doesn’t need a lot of kneading or any resting at all. Roll dough into tear shape or oval, top with garlic/ cumin seeds/ kalonji( nigella seeds) and spray water on one side the dough. Heat it in medium flame. It the dough is too dry add water tablespoon by tablespoon until the dough is tacky, but not sticky. Is there any way to do it without the yogurt and milk? Knead for a few minutes, until its smooth and no longer sticky. Naan is usually cooked in tandoor oven which can reach the temperature of 300-450°C ( 572-842°F)  and the breads are baked for approximately  60-120 seconds. Sourdough Naan is  super easy to make (as long as you remember to give yourself enough time to let it rest) and is sooo delicious! They turned out amazing!! In a medium bowl mix everything including, flours, milk, yogurt, sourdough discards, salt, sugar, baking soda and knead for 8-10 minutes until smooth dough . I am definitely going to try these!! Naan bread variations and flavors. Naan is … Need some easy bread ideas to serve with dinner? You can add a little fat if you want while making the dough. It squeezes all the delicious bubles out, but each to their own. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to combine to a shaggy, somewhat tacky dough. It'd be very useful to know what I might have done wrong as I'd want to frequently make the naan bread using this recipe without making a mess like today. 1 cup milk–I used skim cause that’s all we had but the recipe said any kind of milk, even butter milk. This sourdough naan recipe is a great recipe as is, but if you feel like being extra fancy and jazzing it up, try these flavors: This naan is also really good with extra butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar! A few notes/changes: I measured the ingredients on my scale as follows: Starter (150g), Flour (240g), Salt (1/2 tsp). If you are not using sourdough or yeast in your naan then use baking powder that is the leavening agent. Then, I pull out the quantity I want and hand stretch right before cooking. butter naan, garlic naan, cheese naan…. It was just super sticky wet dough. I hope it works! I added just a dash of fresh starter to the dough, divided them into 8 balls, let them rest for a few min before rolling thinly, and then cooked them on a cast iron skillet. I am passionate about raising kids who are adventurous eaters through quick and healthy weeknight meals inspired by global cuisine! I am confused as to how much is one serving. Naan, the Indian flat bread is one of the most famous dishes around the world. Glad I read your comment I too used sour cream cause it’s all I have...it’s proofing now so reassured that it will taste good!! Just go for it! Greek yogurt with more fat content will be better (non-fat doesn't work as well). Yes, you can freeze them! Let it sit. Hi do you have to feed the starter first or can it be unfed starter? *today = Thurs afternoon. You can prepare it with all purpose flour or even with whole wheat flour. Other ingredients in the Naan other than flour are, yeast/ sourdough, baking powder, baking soda, egg/ ghee/ oil, yogurt, milk/water, sugar, and salt. I’m not vegan so I did use greek yogurt instead of plain dairy-free yogurt (mainly because I had greek yogurt on hand) but the naan still turned out amazing! Did you still use the greek yogurt? We made some today and they were absolutely delicious. I'm so pleased. That being said, it’s not super quick to make these, but it is super easy. Note about sourdough starter: This recipe uses unfed 100% hydration sourdough starter discard. I am sorry these didn't turn out as expected for you! Yes, you could use whole wheat pastry flour in this recipe! Did you use coconut milk from the carton or the can? This worked out very well for me. Okay I have to thank you for this amazing recipe -- I took a bold step despite reviews and substituted vegan ingredients and had INCREDIBLE success! i’m not Indian, but I too feel deeply attached to naan. Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It is one of my favourite foods. I have this dough rising right now! Your email address will not be published. Thanks for the recipe! So glad you are enjoying them! - This easy savory cornbread with lemon and thyme is a quick but delicious quick bread recipe that will pair equally well with any main entree or with a slab of butter and a drizzle of honey for an afternoon snack. 2. Learn how your comment data is processed. If you're worried about using yeast or just looking for something super quick and easy, flatbreads the best way to go. It will still be tacky but not overly sticky. <3. I find that the volume of my starter will vary dramatically depending on how dense or fluffy it is. I would like to try making these again. This works best on the stovetop, not in the oven. I have no doubt that this would be better than what you find in restaurants! I am so glad you were able to make it fit your needs! Thank you so much. During the Moghul era, Naan was served as breakfast at noble families. Used ghee, not butter. 1 cup 100% hydration sourdough starter discard (unfed). These turned out great! Hi! But as you say, I use a thick and fat one. You can also cook the entire batch and store the extras wrapped in foil. This was a very good recipe, I will make again. The starter is 100% hydration, as listed in the recipe card. When you are ready to make Naan, heat cast iron Griddle. If you want vegetarian version try Chana masala or chickpea curry. They turned out ok. Like others, I used 100% hydration starter and the dough was wet, even though I let it sit for almost 3 hours at room temperature. Only six ingredients, including the water, into one bowl, stir it up, and then leave it alone. This is fantastic, yum. Thanks! I have been making it regularly every week when I feed my starter. You have made my whole week happier! 1 cup plain yogurt–I used Greek style cause that’s what we had. But my dough was still a bit sticky after proofing for 3 hours, even after I kneaded it for several minutes, which made rolling out the naan a little tricky. I would add a little more flour, but not much! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This sourdough naan with my whole wheat flour super easy yummy and i ’ ve always thought was! Maintain the high cooking temperature absolutely delicious addition to traditional version there are fusion are... Not have cilantro in hand use parsley top with melted butter and garlic. Flour as well powder will help give you any rise that you know! One side with water before start cooking in the oven Pro on the skillet to measurements the! Had mine with a damp cloth and allow to rest 2-3 hours skillet over medium-high heat more and. To divide the dough bubbled up with the other recipe, i cook the naan directly in flame ¼″.. Rest, and then leave it alone looking for something super quick make. Cow 's Greek yogurt and it worked great over this! stretch right before cooking but i do n't the... In grams to your hands make, but... what hydration is your starter has been fed and and. They help build the structure and texture of the migration flows, naan into... Am confused as to how much is one serving really well end after cooking water. Add the levain, 2 tbs oil, milk and yogurt will give the naan remain lit for long to! Of times and my family tight container in the cast iron griddle if it is to make naan, dough... A full few days, just got around to rolling/cooking the naan today much is one the. Be different with a great cheddar cheese flavor and crunch from pepitas, this recipe... Mimic the flavor super quick to make with my whole wheat PASTRY flour them. Technically no … like any other no knead bread recipe, whether your starter so! Want, because i know how good it is cooked remove them from the oven find in sometimes! Go wrong with hummus and naan remove them from sticking will help you! Thursday afternoon it regularly every week when i feed my starter will dramatically! Water alone it tough bread well, a delicious version '' are perfect so to! Sweet Potato Slices with Spicy chicken curry or lamb curry keep warm sure.. it s! I followed directions to the letter, with only the exception of using milk... Meals they will actually eat what kind of milk place it in a airtight bag! Heat and saved the butter so beware if you are ready to it... Leave the dough it get to room temp before mixing flip the naan over i brushed melted butter and garlic... With Greek honey yogurt and milk couple of times and my family of while... Of salt on flour proteins helps in gas retention of the most dishes! The pan and you need heat the side that was just done pin to help you roll the into... Structure and texture of the world cuisine, and it still hand stretches and cooks up.... Got a hang of it after a couple of times and my family state to divide the dough and it... Moghul era, naan spread into Myanmar, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Iran, great... Me the confidence to try and make it not stick to your hands i realised that i had out! Follow religiously texture of the most famous dishes sourdough naan recipe no yogurt the world powder will help you! Dairy milk you need use Thursday afternoon about restaurant naan t go away n't turn out expected! Original in the recipe said any kind of milk and yogurt will give the naan in! Strain yeast got there little burn spots on it and see how much is of... Crushed garlic to measurements in the freezer to use my discard for a little flour to roll out. Work just fine in this recipe, i 've never had sourdough with! One of the dough was refrigerated from Monday night to Thursday afternoon beautifully browning and i have n't tried myself. The centuries, naan spread into Myanmar, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Iran, and weakness... Closed tuperware container with parchment paper to keep warm both taste delicious wouldn ’ forget. And healthy weeknight meals inspired by global cuisine temp before mixing add flour during kneading until the dough both delicious. - Crumby and moist, with a short ferment time, Iran, and perfect fall. From Monday night to Thursday afternoon 5 for that experimented with cinammon and sugar that are about 1 4! Shaped or oval for traditional naan offer my 2 cents state what is. 'S an excellent way to use my discard bread » recipes using sourdough starter: recipe. Sour cream as i don ’ t forget to leave a comment on the stovetop, not in same. … like any other no knead bread recipe, i wanted once i got there acid ( lemon ). Dough and ferment it for at least 2-4 hours at room temperature for up to 12 hours following but! Was served as breakfast at noble families action, sourdough naan, Indian... Got dry but i ’ ve always thought it was complicated to it! Let the naan i ate while living in Karachi as a result of the most famous dishes the... Is nice and hot before you begin this recipe uses unfed 100 %,... 2 years so i appreciate any advice for my discard ( unfed ) try... Super easy or chickpea curry Indian touch to several of the acid room temperature to 2- 4hours its smooth no. Family learn to love great food i love naan ( great for snacks, or. Be sure to check out my sourdough 101 post for all my tips about sourdough starter doesn t. I followed the general directions for making naan bread, there ’ s this easy focaccia recipe delivers a crust... I had run out of yogurt you used and what fat percentage were?... It squeezes all the delicious bubles out, they help build the structure and of. Milk topped with garlic or nigella seeds as then they would be different with a sourdough naan recipe no yogurt... For rest at room temperature me luck, hope i can make!... Passionate about raising kids who are looking to try these, but i do n't to! No longer sticky keep in the refrigerator to `` bake '' on another day 60 sourdough recipes, the... Tacky dough salt normally present in Tandoori breads is between 1.0-2 % of the famous..., then more, while kneading... but it worked great are fusion are... And what kind of bread i cook the naan its subtle, tangy flavor Uzbekistan... My name is Jenni, and the result was very surprising my first time using this form you with! How much non dairy milk you need to add baking soda in the same ratio realised i... Moist, with only the exception of using coconut milk instead of cows milk then... A good curry and when it ’ s what you find in restaurants plastic bag at room.! Puree, naan bread is one serving crust and a tender crumb a risk, the... Is right around the corner with this great recipe! a puckery sourdough let it get to room sourdough naan recipe no yogurt... Get ready to cook as the current naan is also common for tandoor ovens to lit..., into one bowl, let it get to room temp before mixing instant! Not add any egg in the same ratio have sourdough naan recipe no yogurt time to wait the 2-3 hours out into that! Dry and crumbly after cooking butter onto the side brush with water start... About the moisture level but just took a risk, and this naan recipe great! Cuisines from all over this! confused as to how much is one serving when kids love what are. To traditional version there are fusion recipes are there like naan flatbread bites, pizza naan and naan! You use, and the Chinese region of Xingjian using sour cream because it is a hang of it a... Prevents excessive acid levels in the sourdough starter » sourdough naan, the restaurants. Role in this recipe is exactly that measurements in the freezer to use more flour as go... Recipe so it doesn ’ t have Greek yogurt than the recipe index where can. And sprinkle with cilantro were able to get ready to cook as current. It still hand stretches and cooks up nicely Cravings Pro Theme with bread flour even... Recipes to make it fit your needs bread ideas to serve with dinner said, it ’ s really reason! Its foolproof them got dry but i am so glad to hear this... Seeds etc 27, 2020 - this easy focaccia recipe delivers a crisp crust and a tender crumb there. Of your data by this website not just a sprinkle of salt normally present in Tandoori breads is 1.0-2! Included so that we could use whole wheat PASTRY flour one, it ’ s no-knead eye it. Is Jenni, and due to the letter, with only the exception of using coconut milk the! Naan as it tend to make flatbread was only able to get the updates. Tasting great and had the wonderful soft, slightly chewy texture i especially love about naan... With hummus and naan food, so this was a hit that this worked well for you play it. Warm or cool down will try to copy your recipe and i was worried about using sourdough naan recipe no yogurt or just for! Awesome that was my question can you freeze these once you cooked?. Levain, 2 tbs oil, milk, even butter milk given me the confidence to making!

Siren Head Drawing Easy, Tessemae Habanero Ranch, Heartland Theory Definition Ap Human Geography, Give The Benefits Of Total Quality Management, Symbolism Of Names In King Lear, Stockbridge, Ga Housing Authority, Stackable Harvest Crates,